Monday, January 2, 2012

Off to a Great Start!

Yay! Progress!

The fabric I am using is a ruby red fleece from Joann's. It was my second buy for this project - the first fleece I bought was too maroon for my friend's taste. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of this fleece. It feels light and flimsy and lacks the structure of the first fleece. I think it will be ok in the end, but I do feel it isn't as high a quality. But it will look nice. :)

Prepped and ready to cut.
 I'm really digging the deconstructed look that all the cool kids are wearing these days. There is beauty in the display of a garment's architecture. This is one of the things that appealed to me in the original Technodolly design. I liked the use of the seams as a design element.

I am not advanced enough in playing with this design to do more than the normal princess seams, but I am tarting them up with using gold thread. I am, of course, using my trusty serger. I serge EVERYTHING I can. Love it.

I couldn't find 4 spools of gold thread, so am creating my own blend with two yellows, one antique gold, and a wheat color. I think it will look good in the end.


Progress at the end of Day One
Now is a good time to say this: I love princess seams. They are super easy to do; the only tricky bit is the curve of the bust and shoulder blades. Princess seams look good on all feminine figures. They are very forgiving. Big bust? Princess seams can maximize your assets without going overboard. Poochy tummy? Princess seams nip in at the waist and then skim over the tummy and hips making a beautiful hourglass shape. Small bust or lean figure? Princess seams create the illusion of curves and accentuate the positives.

By the end of day one, I have the pieces cut, minus the hood. The body is blocked together. Next is the sleeves and adding the hood. Then zipper and voila! Beautiful coat. :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful seams on just about anyone, true. You have tons of space to spread out that fabric - love it! Deconstructed is fun to look at and challenging too! I can't imagine everyone seeing all my "innards" like that. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress! Can't wait to see the finished garment. :-)

    ReplyDelete