Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Project ADD

Ok, so my main rationale for beginning this blog was that if I documented my process, I would be more likely to complete my process.

I am a long-time sufferer of project Attention Deficit Disorder. I will be plugging away on a project, 90% of the way to awesomeness - whoa, did you see that bolt of fabric over there! It would be perfect for that sundress idea I had a couple days ago! And off I go chasing a new project.

My craft room is full of projects three quarters of the way done. I could probably spend an entire year just finishing them. Such a resolution would likely teach me fine moral lessons about completing things I start, the satisfaction that comes from doing a project right and in total and other wonderful ideals.

But inspiration, when it strikes, is like a lightning bolt. I love the sizzle. I know I will chase it whenever it strikes.

So the red coat is momentarily on hold as I work on completing some ram horns.

Didn't see that one coming, did you?

My husband gifted me with an absolutely fabulous mask from Mythical Masks for Yule. Well, of course I have to create an entire outfit to go along with it. And the mask isn't enough. Nope. It calls for horns. Ram horns. Yep.

So I found an Instructable on how to make hollow horns. You can even put LEDs inside to make them light up. How cool would that be at a burn or festival?? ZAPwent the lightning. And off I went.

I rolled a wire frame and covered them in a layer of papier mache last week. Today, I went to work in applying the Model Magic to the frame.

You can see the wire frame and papier mache in this picture. I have started rolling on the Model Magic. It is incredibly light and fluffy, much more so than Sculpey or Fimo. It takes a few days to air dry and won't be as sturdy at the end, but since I will be wearing these on my head, I figured less weight was a good thing.


 The process for adding the horn ridges is super easy. Roll a snake with the Model Magic, roll it flat with a rolling pin, and then wind it onto the form. Ta da! Real ram horns aren't perfect (or this big, but I'm going for a Mucha look), so imperfections just make it that much better. Or so I tell myself. :)


Life interrupted before I could finish the second horn. I'll finish it off tomorrow and leave these to air dry for several days before painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment